License-free fishing days provide an excellent opportunity for those who don't yet have a fishing license to experience fishing, take youth fishing, or for avid anglers to introduce a friend to fishing without having to purchase a license. On these days, the fishing license requirement is waived for all recreational anglers, including both residents and non-residents.
All other rules such as seasons, bag and size limits apply.
License-free freshwater days:
- First consecutive Saturday and Sunday in April
- Second consecutive Saturday and Sunday in June
License-free saltwater days:
- First consecutive Saturday and Sunday in June
- First Saturday in September
- Saturday following Thanksgiving
The saltwater waiver applies to any recreational harvest requiring a saltwater fishing license (e.g., crabbing, lobstering, scalloping, etc.) as well as fishing from shore or a boat. A snook or spiny lobster permit are also not required on these days.